it's our favorite time of year, and we celebrate halloween every single day in october!
our staff have answered some fun halloween themed questions for you. we hope you will enjoy reading our responses. comment and let us know some of your favorites, too!
Here is what they said!
1. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE THING ABOUT THE HALLOWEEN SEASON? DANNY THOMAS:COLDER WEATHER AND CANDY. L: i love halloween season, because i love creepy things. i love ravens, and spiders, and black cats, and everything halloween related. so being in a world surrounded by my favorite things for a whole month, is pure bliss. i also love the weather, trees, and falling leaves! Eve: My fav Halloween thing is carving Pumpkins! We never got Pumpkins in the UK growing up and had to hollow out small turnips (neeps). They were brick hard and stunk when you put a candle in them. We would take them out with us when we went trick or treating (guising). I carve about 7 a year now!! Morticia:The ending of summer heat and the wonderful decorations coupled with all the wonderful memories of Halloween as a child. I have never had a bad Halloween.
2. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE TOUR? DANNY THOMAS: WHEN I HAD PATRICK STEWART ON MY TOUR. L: OLD TOWN SPRING BECAUSE IT'S WHERE I HAVE HAD THE MOST EXPERIENCES. i also just love the old buildings and the creepy atmosphere. during the day it's so much fun to go shopping! Eve: My Fav Tour is definitly Old Town Spring. Ive never walked a more creepier place with such an abundance of activity. Its so quaint and rich in history you can imagine how the town would have looked 100 years ago. Morticia: Old Town Spring, of course. I just love the history of the town and the area in general.
3. FAVORITE HALLOWEEN COSTUME? DANNY THOMAS: WHEN I DID MENACE THE CLOWN. L: i love when people GET REALLY INTO THEIR COSTUME. LIKE WHEN THEY GO ALL OUT WITH ZOMBIE MAKEUP AND GORE, AND NEVER BREAK CHARACTER. LOVE IT! when i do my own costume, the more gore the better. but typically my go-to is ghost girl, or beheaded victorian lady. EVE: My fav Halloween costume is Lizzie Borden..we all have that bit of psyco buried deep inside of us , Lizzie is mine. Morticia: A sparkly witch with lots of sparkles, long flowing skirts, and lots of pink and black. As a child I always wanted to dress as a witch.
4. CAN YOU TELL US ABOUT THE CRAZIEST TOUR GUEST YOU HAVE HAD ON A GHOST TOUR? DANNY THOMAS: ONE LADY STARTED SCREAMING "MY DEMONS" TO THE GROUND AND ACTED POSSESSED, AND DIDN'T REMEMBER ANYTHING THAT HAPPENED WHEN THE TOUR WAS OVER. L: once we had a lady who could see every ghost before we told the story. she was like, "this happened here" and we were blown away because she had never been on our tour before. once, there was a girl who wore stiletto heels, and kept removing and then replacing her shoes during the entire tour. it wouldn't have been strange were it not for the way she did it. she would walk off and leave her shoes several times, and have to stumble back to the last tour spot to get them. eve: The craziest guest I have had on tour was this drunk guy who every 10 seconds forgot I was Scottish and would shout out "Oh my God your Scottish! thats sooo cool" ...every 10 seconds! Morticia: There was a woman that took the tour and decided to douse me and all the locations on the tour with holy water. She clung to her rosary beads and prayed during the entire tour. I think she may have been a little spooked.
5. WHAT IS THE CREEPIEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU ON TOUR? DANNY THOMAS: SEE NUMBER 4. L: one day i was in old town spring by myself. it was late at night and no one was around. I HEARD MY NAME BEING CALLED OVER AND OVER. I followed the voice, and it took me behind a building in an empty parking lot. i looked everywhere, and called out to see who was there. THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO ONE THERE. WAS REALLY COOL, BUT CHILLING. Eve: The creepiest thing ever to happen on tour was one night at the hanging tree we were asking for a sign that an entity was there. We heard this enormous loud BANG on the red barn, felt like someone had hit it with a 2 x 4 bit of wood. There was nothing or no one on the roof or the area at the time. Right after that, a rock came flying through the air and hit off the fence behind us. The whole tour group got so scared and one couple actualy had to leave. I had chills that night myself. morticia: There are so many, but I think the creepiest is when I felt someone come up to me at one of the locations and put their arm around me, and right after that having my hair almost playfully pulled. There was nobody standing near me at the time.
6. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE COLOR? DANNY THOMAS: BLACK. L: HOT PINK, TURQUOISE, AND PURPLE. Especially when they are all together. eve: My fav color believe it or not is yellow! yeah odd color to like but I think it is uplifting and illuminating, offering hope, happiness, cheerfulness and fun. morticia: Pink
7. FAVORITE HORROR MOVIE? DANNY THOMAS: THE NEW AMITYVILLE HORROR. L: PET SEMATARY, THE SHINING, AND CRIMSON PEAK! i am also a huge fan of tales from the crypt. eve: My Fav Horror Movie is an old classic. "Rosemary's Baby". This was the movie that would give me nightmares as a kid but I watched it over and over so much I about know the script by heart.. "what happened to his eyes!!!!!!! , he has his fathers eyes Rosemary." (got shivers just thinking about that line)..if you havnt seen it put it on your list of must sees. morticia: The Others, followed by Shaun of the Dead
8. TELL US YOUR FAVORITE GHOST STORY. DANNY THOMAS: THE GHOST TRACKS CLOSE TO SAN ANTONIO, WHERE YOU CAN'T STOP YOUR CAR ON THE TRACKS BECAUSE OF THE BUS FULL OF KIDS THAT WERE HIT BY a TRAIN. YOU CAN PUT BABY POWDER ON THE BACK OF YOUR CAR AND SEE LITTLE HAND PRINTS ONCE YOU ARE OVER THE TRACKS. L: ANYTHING FROM THE BOOKS "IN A DARK DARK ROOM" OR "SCARY STORIES TO TELL IN THE DARK". ALSO "BIRD BOX" WAS AN EXCELLENT READ. eve: One of the best ghost stories I have ever read was "GHOST STORY" by Peter Straub,the film version was quite good as well. Some of the early stories in the book about the ghost that keeps revisiting the main characters were downright unsettling. Read the book first, its wayyy scarier. Morticia: The story I most remember, and have personal experience with, is the story of Cry Baby Creek in Lufkin, Texas. Cry Baby Creek is actually Jack Creek and there is a bridge on F.M. 2497 that crosses this creek. It is said that during the 1970s a young mother with her infant was crossing the bridge when she lost control of the car and the car went off the side of the bridge, killing both. As legend says when you go out to the bridge at night you can hear the cry of an infant, but can never figure which direction it is coming from. Apparently when I was younger my mother would drive across the bridge and hear a child crying. She would stop and look for the child but could not find it. After happening a few times she refused drive that way any longer. My aunt confirms the story and said the same thing has happened to her on a couple of occasions, but only when she had children in her car, never when she was alone.
9. WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE TO SOMEONE WHO IS NEW TO GHOST HUNTING? DANNY THOMAS: JUST LIKE ANY OTHER HUNTING, GET USED TO WAITING. L: BRING YOUR CAMERA! THAT WILL BE MOST OF YOUR PROOF. DON'T EXPECT THE JUMP OUT AND SCARE YOU KINDS OF THINGS. MOST OF THE GHOSTS ARE JUST LIKE US, AND DON'T REACT WELL TO THREATS. BE KIND, AND UNDERSTANDING, AND YOU WILL HAVE A LOT BETTER CHANCE OF MEETING ONE UP CLOSE. eve: My best tips for new ghosthunters.. 1. Pick a good location: cemeteries, prisons, hospitals, private homes, parks, bridges, scene of accidents, major disasters or murders, etc. Anywhere that residual energy might dwell. 2. Do your research: You don’t want to waste time investigating at the wrong time or place or in the wrong way. 3. Get permission if needed you may be trespassing if you dont. 4. Bring as much equipment as you can: good items to have would be a camera, voice recorder, infrared camera, EMF detector or motion sensors or just plain old gut instinct. 5. Never Hunt Alone! : This is super important. The buddy system rules when hunting ghosts. And most impotantly..if your new to the game...bring a change of underwear..lol morticia: Never do it alone and trust your instincts. Beyond that, make sure you have plenty of extra batteries because those spirits drink the juice like you wouldn’t believe.
10. WHY SHOULD SOMEONE TAKE A TOUR WITH YOU AS THEIR GUIDE? DANNY THOMAS: you will never be bored on one of my tours. L: I DO ALL OF THE BACKGROUND STUFF, SO I HOPE I MAKE THINGS EASY AND FUN FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE BOOKING THEIR TOURS. my goal is to give people a reason to come back, and to make them tell all of their friends to come on tour with us. i just want people to love it! eve: Do you believe in ghosts? The question is huge. Coming to a wrong conclusion about the afterlife has eternal consequences. Since most of us prefer to believe that we will continue to exist in some capacity after death, the idea that we might invent something like ghosts seems a reasonable one. After all, what better way to convince oneself that a deceased loved one is okay “on the other side" than to imagine seeing them at the foot of your bed. But I believe there is more to ghosts than just wishful thinking or the quest for a spooky story to tell around a campfire. I believe there are a number of good reasons to at least be open to the idea that ghosts might well inhabit our reality and that there may be something tangible behind those things that go bump in the night. When you tour with me I explore all possibilities with history and actual evidence and hope to leave you with a better understanding of the paranormal and if nothing else a small belief that ghosts can and do exist. morticia: Because I am friggin awesome. No, really, I am. I thoroughly enjoy being a guide and telling the history and ghost stories on the tour. I also really enjoy talking with the guests to learn of their experiences, not only those that occurred on the tour but their own personal experiences in the past.
copyright: Danny thomas, Eve Hallows, Morticia Manson, and L. Thomas - Houston ghost tour affiliates 2016.